Uluwatu Temple in Bali, The most popular temple in Bali for its cliff and sunset view point overlooking to the ocean. The ultimate guide from local experts about Uluwatu temple. latest entrance fee, Map location, Dress code before entering the temple and all things you need to know before visiting.
Visiting Uluwatu temple is must be on your Bali Bucket list of Things to do in Bali. An amazing temple with cliff and ocean background. Best to visit in the sunset time.
- Temple History
- Map location and 360 Image
- The Monkeys
- Dress Code
- Entrance Fee
- What to expect to see
- Nearby Uluwatu Temple
Uluwatu Temple Overview
Bali temple with ocean background and inhabited with group of Monkeys, Best time to visit during the sunset time. Temple located in the edge of high cliff approximately 80 meter from the sea level. Uluwatu temple is one of 6 keys temple in Bali as the spiritual pillars of Bali island. Uluwatu Temple Bali is Bali’s most popular and most visited temple you should not missed.
Pura Luhur Uluwatu is one of Bali’s kayangan jagat (directional temples) and guards Bali from evil spirits from the South West, in which dwell major deities, in Uluwatu’s case; Bhatara Rudra, God of the elements and of cosmic force majeures.
Bali’s most spectacular temples located high on a cliff top at the edge of a plateau above the waves of the Indian Ocean. Uluwatu lies at the southernmost of Bali in Badung regency. Dedicated to the spirits of the sea, the famous Pura Luhur Uluwatu temple is an architectural wonder in black coral rock, beautifully designed with spectacular views.
This is a popular place to enjoy the sunset. Famous not only for its unique position, Uluwatu also boasts one of the oldest temples in Bali, Pura Uluwatu. Most of Bali’s regencies have Pura Luhur (literally high temples or ascension temples)
How do you get to Uluwatu Temple?
Uluwatu temple in Bali located in the south west of Bali island. to visit Uluwatu temple you can Hire Bali local driver for a day.
- Kuta to Uluwatu Temple : 35-45 Minutes
- Seminyak To Uluwatu Temple : 60 Minutes
- Ubud Bali To Uluwatu: 120 Minutes
- Canggu Bali to Uluwatu Temple : 90 Minutes
- Nusa Dua To Uluwatu : 30 Minutes
The Monkeys at Uluwatu Temple Bali
Uluwatu temple is inhabited with brown monkeys in the forest around the temple, visitor are aware not to bring any foods and unimportant things inside the temple area, since the monkey may attract or steal your handy belonging I e, hat, sunglasses, and many easy lose belonging.
- Don’t feed the monkeys
- Don’t touch and trying to play with them
- Don’t make eye contact or showing your teeth
- Take a Stick come with you, The monkeys are scare of stick, But don’t ever hit them.
If the monkey steal your belonging, you can ask local guard to help you, the local guardian will try to take back all your belonging to your hand by changing it with the fruit, you can just tip the local who help you, a small amount of $1 or 2 is enough.
Uluwatu Temple dress code
Uluwatu Temple is a sacred place, To put your respect you need to wear a proper dress before entering this temple. Sarong and sash are included when you purchase the entrance ticket fee at the counter.
- Wear Sarong and sash/Scarf that is provide at the main entrance gate.
- Do wear proper clothes, cover your shoulder and foot
- Women during monthly period is prohibited to enter the temple.
- Take off you Big earring, Sun glass, hat and other easy lose stuff to prevent monkeys attack.
- Shoes and Sandals are allowed to wear to inside the temple area.
Uluwatu Temple Bali Entrance Fee and Opening Hours
The latest update of Uluwatu entrance fee as shown as below Nov, 2019)
|Uluwatu Temple entrance fee||Price per person|
|Parking||IDR. 2000 (car/Bike)|
|Opening Hours||07.00AM – 07.00PM|
What to expect to do at Uluwatu temple Bali
What to expect to see and do inside the temple? Uluwatu has a wide area you can explore during the visit. The best time to come is during the sunset time. Here are things you expect to see around the temple.
- Walk along the cliff side while enjoy the ocean view
- See the cute monkeys
- Watch the sunset from the edge of the cliff
- Watch the traditional dancing show, Kecak fire dance performance daily from 6PM to 7PM (Ticket fee applied at IDR. 100.000/Person) Can be bought inside the temple area.
Uluwatu temple tour with nearby attraction visit
When you visit Uluwatu temple, To maximize your day tour here below places are located nearby Uluwatu temple Bali.
- Tanjung Benoa Beach Water Sport center
- Pandawa Beach Bali
- Melasti Beach Ungasan Bali
- Padang Padang Beach
- Garuda Wisnu Kencana Statue
- Tanah Lot Temple (located appoximately within 2 Hours drive)
Uluwatu Temple indeed is one of the Most popular and famous from another Bali temples. Come in the late afternoon just before the sun goes down is the best way to enjoy the ambience of this temple.
Frequently Asked Question
Uluwatu temple is one of the Temple you must see in Bali. Find the review of past travelers here
Very worth to visit this amazing place, The ocean view, The monkey and the Sunset also the traditional Kecak dance in the evening is the attraction you can expect to see.
The best time to arrive is from 5PM onward for Sunset view, watch the dancing (optional) and avoid you from the sun/Heat.
The main area of Uluwatu temple is always closed for visitor. You are prohibited to enter tho this main worship area and its temple building except for worship purpose by local people. What you can do is only see the temple from out side the gate. or stand away and see from the distance.
Wear proper dress, cover your shoulder and feet. Temple Dress Code